Re: [Xen-users] xen-4.4.0 and unexpected system reboot

greetings,

> It might be a good idea to turn off the screen saver for the console if
> you do this.  If the crash happened after the screen saver became
> active, you might see nothing but a blank screen.  Guess how I know
> ... :)

*rofl'ing*  nothing like a little first hand experience to make an
impression, no?

good point about the screen saver.  i use one when i'm away from my
desk.

> I'm finding the messages about loosing contact to the UPS
> suspicious.  I used nut quite a while with an USB connection, and no
> matter what load I put on the CPU, I never noticed any such messages.
> Do you see a correlation between CPU load and these messages?

i saw another message the other day, and it was the one about low
battery.  since the battery is only a few months old, i think
something is odd with the ups in that context.  it claimed a
brand-new 12-volt battery provided only about 4.9 volts, which is
what it said about the old one i replaced.

my ups also connects via usb.  i forget the exact verbage from the
nut messages, as i've seen several of them.  i figure some of them
are related to ntp adjusting the system clock, which could make nut
think it missed its handshake.

yes, i see a correlation between cpu load and nut messages.  i use
software raid1 for two disks with encrypted partitions on my disks.
plus, lvm and jfs.  if i do something extremely disk i/o intensive,
it drives my cpu loading through the roof.  and nut starts sending
out broadcast messages, which doesn't help my train of thought.

> If there appears
> to be any sort of regularity to the crashes (like every 45 days), I'd
> try to find out what is being started every 45 days.

no regularity that i've seen so far.  no automated tasks that
suddenly kicked in, although i'm sure i ran <something> at the
time.  i don't remember just what.

thank you for your time and assistance
frank smith

                          or over the web