Re: [Xen-users] how to start VMs in a particular order

"J. Roeleveld" <joost@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> On Saturday, June 28, 2014 01:11:05 PM lee wrote:
>>
>> Apparently it's using arcconf to query the status of the
>> volumes/controller.  Last crash, I got a message on the console saying
>> that arcconf appeared to be hanging for 120 seconds, and the regularity
>> of the crashes was suspicious.  The software is ancient, so it's
>> possible that it causes problems with somewhat recent kernels :(
>
> Quite possibly. Am I correct in assuming you are using old hardware with
> closed-source software?

It's an IBM x3650 7979 L2G with a ServeRaid 8k.  Arcconf seems to be
closed source --- I don't really need arcconf, though.

Unfortunately, disabling the status checking hasn't solved the problem.
The server goes down with messages about the SCSI bus hanging and trying
to reset it.  I suspect that the controller doesn't like the --- rather
unsuited --- WD20EARS I plugged in.  They have been working fine with a
HP smart array P800, though.  I might have to take them out to see if
the problem persists.

>> > That script is part of Xen, not just Debian. I have the same file in
>> > Gentoo.
>> Hm, is it still there when systemd is used?
>
> When using systemd, it is not used.
> However, I see more issues with using systemd instead of openrc when compared
> to the benefits.

I'm not a fan of systemd --- it's more complicated, and where are
advantages?

> I use Xen on servers where stability is more important then a fast boottime.
> (especially as the BIOS takes longer then booting the OS)

Well, I wish the server was running stable!

> All the domUs have their console inside a screen-session. These also log the
> output to:
> /var/log/xen-consoles/<domu-name>.log
>
> By checking if these have the login prompt, you can also ensure the domU has
> started correctly. At least the scripts I get with Gentoo cycle when the
> screen-session is created.

Hmmm ... That is really going to lengths.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.