Re: [Xen-users] how to start VMs in a particular order

"J. Roeleveld" <joost@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thursday, June 26, 2014 06:19:30 PM lee wrote:
>> Since dom0 crashes once every 24 hours, it would be nice if I could at
>> least get the machine rebooted without more intervention than having to
>> press the reset button ...
>
> I would fix this with a higher priority, to be honest.

Yes, if I could ...

So far, I might have made some progress on that by removing a package
that checks the status of the RAID volumes.  It's too early to tell for
sure; at least the server hasn't crashed since.

On Debian, /etc/init.d/xendomains seems to be what brings up the domains
automatically.  It would be a good place to add a timer or to add checks
for services.

As to numbering file names/links:

lee@heimdall:~$ mkdir ordertest
lee@heimdall:~$ touch ordertest/3
lee@heimdall:~$ touch ordertest/2
lee@heimdall:~$ touch ordertest/0
lee@heimdall:~$ for name in ordertest/*; do echo $name; done
ordertest/0
ordertest/2
ordertest/3
lee@heimdall:~$ touch ordertest/100
lee@heimdall:~$ for name in ordertest/*; do echo $name; done
ordertest/0
ordertest/100
ordertest/2
ordertest/3
lee@heimdall:~$

So when you're careful, you can specify the order in which VMs are
brought up (at least when using Debians' script) --- but is it a granted
feature that the names always appear in any particular order?  It looks
more like a side effect.

Anyway, I think I'll modify the script so that the domains are brought
up in a particular order with fixed delays as needed.  That seems the
most simple and efficient way to do it.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.