Re: [Xen-users] how to start VMs in a particular order

lee <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In this case, the VM with the name server
> needs to be up first, ...

Yes, I know that one :( If the name server isn't up, then the other VMs start
up but "things" don't get configured properly.

I solved that part of the problem by running a local nameserver on every "key"
system (not all of them VMs), with local slave copies of the zones we use, and
using our main resolver as a forwarder for everything else. That at least means
the routers and firewalls can start up independently when the power comes back
on.

Thankfully power events are now rare since we replaced the UPS - but we went
through a phase with no UPS, and some local grid power faults, and had to do a
few cold starts. The server room is lovely and quiet when the power's gone off !