Re: [Xen-users] Fail to convert RAW disk to VHD fixed disk.

Hi Fajar et all.Â

I tried your suggested method of using qemu img convert:
qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O vpc ~/Downloads/Fedora-x86_64-20-20140407-sda-clone.qcow2 Fedora.vhd

however after uploading the image my instance fails to launch with:

Server building... 40% complete
Error building server
ERROR (InstanceInErrorState): No valid host was found.

I contacted rackspace support and they saw no problems in my availability zone. further, the images I converted with the patched vhd util are still booting as expected. However I can't fully rule out spurious build failures on rackspace's side.Â

since the xen kernel is supported in Fedora 16+ are Hyper-v and xen .vhd containers of this type fully interchangeable? The docs are not clear on thisÂhttp://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/content/ch_converting.htmlÂ

Regards,

Aric

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Aric Gardner
<agardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Ian, et all.
>
> I imagined that the patch would not be officially supported. No worries.
>
> The qemu img convert does not do xen images

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

> -> "The qemu-img convert command
> can do conversion between multiple formats, including raw, qcow2, VDI
> (VirtualBox), VMDK (VMWare) and VHD (Hyper-V)." In my googlings I saw some
> tools that existed for windows to do said conversion, however, I don't have
> a windows box.

Correct, it says "VHD (Hyper-V)". It should also be the same VHD
format that is supported by xen, vmware, virtualbox, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHD_(file_format)

--
Fajar