Re: [Xen-users] Some iommu questions(mostly about intel's vt-d)

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 14:10:13 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 13:10:47 +0000

On 2014-06-25 13:48, H. Sieger wrote:
I agree with Gordan and his advice. However, ASrock seems to have a
good reputation for VT-d support, but you definitely should check with
them first! While Asus hardware isn't bad (as Gordan said), they are
not committed in any way to support VT-d.

Not committed in any way to support anything.

One top of the line board -
for example the Rampage IV Extreme - may support VT-d (via BIOS), the
other won't, or only partially (e.g. Black edition). Also, some boards
like the RIVE support VT-d with the latest Intel CPUs, others don't.

And there were reports of BIOS updated breaking VT-d on boards on
which it worked to begin with.

Unless something drastically changed, their tech support is totally
useless, even if you talk directly to headquarters.

It's worse if you try to get them to honour the warranty
if something fails.

In the realm of enthusiast boards, ASRock seems to be an exception in
that they support VT-d in a range of boards and in that they actually
know what VT-d is for.
Citrix certified boards will most likely be workstation boards.

It's mostly only workstation and server boards that support
ECC, too (with some AMD desktop boards unofficially supporting
it).

Here is a list of motherboards I compiled based on success stories:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1338063/vt-d-compatible-motherboards [1]

Here the same for graphics cards:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1307834/xen-vga-passthrough-compatible-graphics-adapters
[2]

Since the xm stack is deprecated and removed in the latest
version you might as well just ignore anything that doesn't
specify it was tested with the xl stack.

Also, my personal experience is that modified Nvidia cards
are the most workable option.

Gordan