Re: [Xen-users] Help with VGA passthrough

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 10:17:05 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 09:17:19 +0000

On 2014-06-25 09:45, Daniel E. Shub wrote:
On Wednesday 25 June 2014 08:45:07 Gordan Bobic wrote:

In terms of device capture, reboot the machine and look at lspci
-vvv. If

anything other than pciback is the driver attached to your GPU, it
isn't

going to work. If the radeon driver touched the card it has been
tainted

and until the bus reset method is implemented it won't work. You
will need

to remove the radeon driver from your initrd, blacklist it in

/etc/modprobe.d/, create a configuration file for xen-pciback in
there to

make it capture the PCI devices you will be passing through, and
create a

script in /etc/sysconfig/modules/ to modprobe xen-pciback and AFTER
that

modprobe radeon if your primary GPU also uses that driver.

I don't have to do any of this with my 5450. My machine has two 5450's
and no other video cards so maybe that is why it works. I let my
machine boot up as normal and then just use xl pci-assignable-add
before I want to start a DomU with the video card as secondary
passthrough.

Does your machine load the radeon driver? If you don't boot into
GUI and have the radeon driver blacklisted then most of this
wouldn't matter. I quite clearly remember that if anything touched
the GPU before the domU driver it wouldn't work at all. It is
plausible something has changed since I tried it, though, such
as the radeon driver in dom0 resetting the card to a clean state
when it unloads.

Gordan