Re: [Xen-users] xen console dimensions

On 2014-06-24 09:30, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 09:21 -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for checking. Philip does that fix it for you too?
>>
>> Yes, manually setting it with stty allows for proper operation; it
>> just seems that this information should be automatically passed to the
>> guest ( via xenstore? ) by xenconsole, and then hvc driver in the
>> guest should pass it to the tty core.  Also updating it in response to
>> SIGWINCH when you resize the terminal.
>
> I'm pretty certain you don't get that level of functionality with a
> normal serial port, but patches welcome ;-0
>
> Ian.

That's generally true, although once you reach userspace, either getty
or init usually set COLUMNS and LINES correctly, I have no idea how they
determine the correct values.  There is an ANSI escape sequence that is
supposed to return hardware/emulator identification, and I think most
VTEs return their geometry through this.  I think I remember reading
somewhere about a non-ANSI escape sequence that returned just the
geometry, I think it was for the vt100 series (and by extension, Linux
console, GNU screen, and xterm compatibles).  IIRC, on Solaris they get
set based on the terminal type that gets passed to getty (or at least on
old Solaris systems)