[Xen-users] Improving the performance of a Xen VM

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Stefan Vroom <smavroom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 16:24:13 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 15 May 2014 14:24:27 +0000

I am working for a company to get their operating system optimised in a virtual environment. It's a 32-bit Unix derivative, capable of real-time computing. I've tested the performance of several devices independently to conclude that the overall performance is lacking. VGA performance is irrelevant but disk performance and network performance are crucial and still inefficient.

Ultimately our goul is to get a virtual machine to be capable of handling big loads of network traffic. I've read an interesting article stating that Xen isn't good at networking compared to other VMM's. However this article is outdated (about Xen 3.0).

I stumbled upon articles like:

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Network_Throughput_and_Performance_Guide

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Tuning_Xen_for_Performance
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:Performance

However as I am relatively new to virtualisation I wonder where I need to dig. I am sure others have already encountered and/or solved this problem.

I also read about RT-Xen, anybody has some experience with it here?

Please share your ideas, experiences and solutions with me! Thanks in advance.

Example of my "working" config:

builder='hvm'
vcpus='1'
memory='512'