Re: [Xen-users] (pv)hvm, upstream qemu 1.7.1

On Fri, 9 May 2014, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-05-09 at 15:08 +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> > > That only changes the default DM path, right?
> > >
> > > So, I have tried:
> > >
> > > device_model_override = "/usr/bin/qemu-system-i386"
> >
> > That basically defaults to whatever qemu was installed by your distro:
>
> FWIW Jacek did exactly what I thought you had asked him to do, i.e. try
> the qemu-system-i386 compiled on his system. Were you really trying to
> ask if the Xen version of qemu worked?

I realize now that I should have been much clearer in my reply: what I
meant is please try to make sure that you are actually testing with the
qemu you have compiled yourself, rather than another version. Keep in
mind that if you use the Xen default paths, it would be installed under
/usr/lib/xen/bin rather than /usr/bin.

In fact could you please post the QEMU configure line and output so that
I can try to repro the issue myself?

> > Xen installs qemu to /usr/lib/xen/bin, so you would need:
> >
> > device_model_override = "/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-system-i386"
> >
> > But actually if you just add:
> >
> > device_model_version = "qemu-xen"
> >
> > xl should automatically look for qemu-system-i386 under
> > /usr/lib/xen/bin.
>
> Note that using the distro provided qemu is *supposed* to work...

That is true, but if we are trying to debug a specific version of QEMU
is best to avoid comparing apples with oranges.