Re: [Xen-users] XEN not working after reboot

Please keep the list in the loop. Re-adding CC.

On Fri, 2013-07-19 at 09:51 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Yes, this server has been running XEN for about 3 years now. It was
> rebooted 87 days ago, if I remember correctly for some updates. This
> is an active XEN server with 3 XEN domU virtual machines service
> websites to clients on the internet.

It seems entirely possible to me that some reconfiguration in the
previous 87 days wasn't applied in a way which would survive a reboot.

> I've managed to "fix it" by manually creating the bridge, but then I
> loose network connectivity to the remote server, and I don't have a
> KVM connection to it. ... yet at least.

I think that needs to be a priority for you unless there is a second
Ethernet device available (in which case you may be able to fix eth0
while logged in via eth1).

> These commands re-create the bridge, but then the host node's
> networking doesn't work, although the VM's come up about 10 minutes
> later. The thing is, I can't see what's going on after running "brctl
> addif xenbr0 eth0". The firewall is disabled right now, so it's not
> blocking anything.
>
> brctl addbr xenbr0
> brctl stp xenbr0 off
> brctl setfd xenbr0 0
> ip link set xenbr0 up
> brctl addif xenbr0 eth0

None of these will transfer the ip configuration from eth0 to xenbr0,
which is necessary for host networking to work.

If you are using a CentOS like environment then this should all have
been done by your ifcfg scripts, or perhaps the network-bridge stuff if
you are still using that.

Have you compared this system's configuration with that of another
working server?

> I have googled that error, but the results I got all related to people
> who just setup XEN and the bridge wasn't setup in the config. The
> problem is, that it was setup, a few years ago already so the steps of
> adding the bridge to the bridge-network script doesn't apply here.

It sounds to me very much like someone has broken this configuration on
this server and nobody noticed until it was rebooted. I would suggest
starting from that assumption and double checking everything going
through as you would an initial setup.