Re: [Xen-users] how do i confirm my new second CPU

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 12:24:20 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:25:18 +0000

Hello.

El 10/07/13 11:42, simon ben escribió:
Dear All,

I had a Centos 5.8 server running xen 3.1.2-194.el5 for quite sometime
and working fine

i have just added a second cpu but am confused since the different
utilities to check for the presence of the new installed CPU is conflicting

what i mean is running cat /proc/cpuinfo shows one cpu
That shows how many CPU's are visible for Dom0. Normally, the default is the number of PCPUs, but obviously it's not your case. This is controlled via xen boot command line options, can't think of a reason why this value is not on it's defaults.
http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/misc/xen-command-line.html

xm info show 2 cpus that is 2*8
xm extracts data directly from Xen hypervisor, who can see all the CPUs.

how do i correctly check and be confirmed that my linux xen server is
using both Cpus.
i have already assigned VM to the cores on the second cpu and everything
is working fine
but jus wanted to confirm.
IMHO, xm and xentop output should be enough.

To be sure sure sure, you may try to pin specific cores to specific DomU's, using all 16 CPUs visible. If you happen to find a CPU that is not truly available, a DomU won't be created anf you would get an error. You probably would also be able to see, how the DomU's that shares the same physical core (visible as 2 due to HT) interfere with each other on CPU consumption.

Greetings.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov