Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.2.2 /etc/init.d/xendomains save and restore of domains does not work

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 4:44 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2013-07-02 at 10:40 +0100, Ian Murray wrote:

> > Even better would be to just do away with this madness of parsing JSON
> > or SXP in shell (keeping it only for xm compatibility) and add proper xl
> > commands to save and restore all domains to/from a given directory.
>
> Xendomains does quite a bit of high level stuff.... it's a
> "convenience" script IMHO which not only deals with suspending and
> restoring but also starting the auto domains and dealing with things
> that appear in both (i.e. the skipping of auto start stuff that has
> just been restored). From a design point of view, is it the right
> thing to do to move all that logic in xl? ... or keep it in a seperate
> tool (but definitely re-written.)

Probably one to RFC on the devel list before committing lots of code
too, but I think its the sort of thing we could accept.

Doing it in xl would be convenient, but a separate tool might also be
workable. The main point is "don't parse JSON in shell"!

You could also consider implementing a more shell friendly output mode
though, which just produces FOO-separated lines of text with the name
and domid in them...

Ian,

  The "Don't parse JSON in shell" concept is why I tried the experiment of changing xendomains over to using xenstore commands instead; it seemed that the majority of the data needed was available there (the state information being the only part missing). This isn't to say that this would be the best method, just that there is an example of another method already in the wild (patch was posted to the user list for anyone interested)

Regards,

  David