[Xen-users] SNAT XENBR0

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: srawilliams <sean@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 06:13:32 -0700 (PDT)
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:05:13 +0000

Hi,

I have a ubuntu 12.04 Xen host with a bridge network

----------

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto xenbr0
iface xenbr0 inet static
        bridge_ports eth0
        address 172.29.213.104
        netmask 255.255.255.128
        gateway 172.29.213.1
        dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8
------

Because of firewall restrictions i have to SNAT or masquerade to the host,
which i do on the xenbr0 bridge.

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o xenbr0 -j MASQUERADE

I also have ipforwarding set on the host

net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
net.ipv4.conf.eth0.proxy_arp = 1

This works fine.  My guests can see the world, however everything routed to
the guests from the world gets the ip address of Xenbr0.  I am presuming
because requests in to those guest go via xenbr0 which changes the source on
the way to the guest.

I have tied taking off the postrouting form xenbr0 and tried both SNAT and
MASQUERADE on eth0 but this does not work.

Please help.  I don't have enough knowledge to figure out a solution.

Cheers

Sean