Re: [Xen-users] Linux Fiber or iSCSI SAN

On Tue, 06/11/2013 10:27 AM, Nick Khamis <symack@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Was wondering what people are running these days, and how do they compare
> to the 10,000 dollar SAN boxes. We are looking to build a fiber san using
> IET and glusterFS, and was wondering what kind of luck people where having
> using this approach, or any for that matter.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Nick.

I've built a number of white box SANs  using everything from OpenSolaris and
COMSTAR, Open-E, OpenFiler, SCST, IET... etc.using iSCSI and FC.
I've settled Ubuntu boxes booted via DRBD running SCST OR ESOS.
From a performance perspective, I have pretty large customer that two XCP pools
running off a Dell MD3200F using 4GB FC. To compare, I took a Dell 2970 or
something like that, stuck 8 Seatgate 2.5" Constellation Drives in it, a 4GB
HBA and installed ESOS on it.
I never got around to finishing my testing, but the ESOS box can definitely
keep up and things like LSI cachecade would really help to bring it to a more
enterprise-level performance with respect to random reads and writes.
Lastly, there is such an abundance of DIRT CHEAP,  lightly used 4GB FC
equipment on the market today that I find it interesting that people still
prefer iSCSI. iSCSI is good if you have 10GBE which is still far to expensive
per port IMO. However, you can get 2 - 4 port, 4GB FC Hbas on ebay for under
100 bucks and I generally am able to purchase fully loaded switches (brocade
200e) for somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 bucks each!
MPIO with 2 FC ports from an initiator to a decent target can easily saturate
the link on basic sequential r/w write tests. Not to mention, improved latency,
access times, etc for random i/o.