Re: [Xen-users] Live Migration of a Virtual Machine without a Shared Storage

On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 12:50 +0300, Nick Katsipoulakis wrote:
> The default XM toolstack.

Note that the default became xl in 4.2 and xm is deprecated in 4.3.

>  Why is this considered a per-toolstack decision?

Because different toolstacks have different models for storage
management.

xm and xl don't really care, so long as the block device exists on the
far side they don't really have any interest in how it got there or
whether it is indeed the same disk as was present on the source (this is
the admin's problem)

XenAPI/xapi have a storage management framework which knows about
different types of storage repository, and can deal with concepts like
shared storage or disks which can be migrated in an offline manner.

I don't know how libvirt deals with this.

>  I want to configure my Xen instances (on the source and destination
> machines) to look for the migrated disk.img in its local store, rather
> on a mounted network storage (I am targeting my system for the
> Share-Nothing IaaS architecture).

For xl/xm this is just a path, if you can arrange for that path to refer
to the same thing they don't care whether that is achieved through
network mounted storage or through black magic.