Re: [Xen-users] Physical Windows HDD Install to Xen DomU Disk Image

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 12:15:00 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 06 May 2013 17:15:51 +0000

Hi.

El 06/05/13 11:40, Wardzinski, Todd escribió:
I'm fairly motivated to get this to work :-).  If you have any more
links/information, I would surely appreciate it.
Make sure you have a consistent copy of the disk.
Qemu-img convert from physical HDD to VHD might work, but I would use a RAW image, which is easer for a fine control.

Boot you VM with a LiveCD (systemrescuecd or Knoppix are great for this), to make sure the disk is in place, partitioned and readable correctly.

After that, treat it as a Motherboard change or upgrade to fix Windows boot. It seems like a pretty common problem, they use a Windows install disk to repair the boot loader and add the missed driver for the disk controller.

Random references:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/304001-30-bsod-motherboard
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007/09/how-to-install-a-new-motherboard-without-reinstalling-windows/

Greetings.