Re: [Xen-users] Unaible to create DomU Guest

On Tue, 2013-04-30 at 13:58 +0100, Dorian wrote:
> Hello.
>

> First of all I 'm pretty new to Linux and this is my first install of
> Xen. So don't mind me wrong if sometimes I don't know which command is
> appropriate to fetch results.
>

> I'm running a new Debian Squeeze release 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 with
> minimal components. I've been going through install of Xen as per the
> documentation for the 4.2.1 release and did so by source. However I
> installed (make install & make world) from
> within /user/Download/xen4.2.1, I don't know if that is a good/bad
> idea?

If you are new to this then I would strongly recommend you use the
version of Xen which is packaged in Debian. Likewise for the kernel.
[...]
> Vif x.x should appear after xm create Virtual-guest.cfg, I guess
> (which in my case is MArie-DHCP)
>
> root@debian:/home/dorian# brctl show
> bridge name    bridge id        STP enabled    interfaces
> pan0        8000.000000000000    no
> xenbr0        8000.002655c46159    no        eth0

Does vifx.y exist in the "ifconfig -a" output?

> "This problem is often related to udev. Do you have udev installed? Is
> your udev the correct/supported version? "This error usually has more
> information in the end revealing the real reason.. for example:
> Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.

> "This problem is often caused by not having "xen-netback" driver
> loaded in dom0 kernel.
> "The hotplug scripts are located in /etc/xen/scripts by default, and
> are labeled with the prefix vif-*. Those "scripts log
> to /var/log/xen/xen-hotplug.log, and more detailed information can be
> found there."
> since hotplug plugin doesn't exists/shows up.

Do you have Xen rules file in /et/udev/rules.d/foo?

e.g.

# head -n2 /etc/udev/rules.d/xen-backend.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="xen-backend", KERNEL=="tap*", ENV{UDEV_CALL}="1", RUN
+="/etc/xen/scripts/blktap $env{ACTION}"
SUBSYSTEM=="xen-backend", KERNEL=="v...

> I've been trying to locate xen-netback driver.
> root@debian:/dev# cat /proc/modules | grep xen
> xen_evtchn 4355 1 - Live 0xffffffffa04d7000
> xenfs 9616 1 - Live 0xffffffffa04ce000

Did you try "modprobe xen-netback" ? Or "find /lib/modules -name
\*netback\*" in case it was called something else in Squeeze?

> But since this call :
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Mainline_Linux_Kernel_Configs#Update_modules
> The following modules may be required:STep 2
>
>    xen-evtchn
>    xen-gntdev    >>> missing         >>>> I think the error comes from
>    xen-netback    >>>missing                this missing drivers
>    xen-blkback    >>>missing
>    xenfs
>    blktap        >>> missing   |Are they missing from Xen 4.2.1 from source Or
> did they don't install properly (something like exit with errors? I'm willing
> to re install
> with detailed info if needed...).

These modules come from your kernel, not from Xen itself. The -xen
flavours of the Debian kernel should have them already (either modular
or static). If you built your own kernel then you will need to ensure
you enable the relevant option.