Re: [Xen-users] Xen Live Migration across versions

On Thu, 2013-04-18 at 16:41 +0100, Siva Palagummi wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am trying to do live migration from Xen 4.1 to 4.2 which is working.
> But not the other way around. Somewhere in  mailing lists I read  4.2
> -> 4.1 migration is not supported. So my question is what kind of live
> migration support that xen team is seeing for the future across
> versions?  For example what are plans to support live migration from
> 4.2 --> 4.3. ?  And also how about supporting from 4.3 ---> 4.2 and so
> on.

This is answered somewhat in
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Version_Compatibility

The gist is that Xen only in general supports migration between versions
within a given stable branch or to (but not from) the next stable
version.

The primary use case for cross-version migration is to support "rolling"
upgrades of host infrastructure e.g. to allow you to update the hosts
one by one by evacuating and upgrading each of them in turn. It is not
the intention to support host infrastructure containing mixed versions
of Xen in the general case.

So Migration from 4.2 to 4.3 will be supported, however you should not
expect migration from 4.3 to 4.2 to work except by coincidence.