Re: [Xen-users] Where did I go wrong (creating an HVM guest)?

On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 20:08 +0000, J wrote:
> OK, I'm not "new" to Xen, but it's been a few years (Xen 3.x) since I
> last really messed with it.  I'm now stuck trying to get back into my
> recently installed new guest.
>
> My host is running Ubuntu 12.04.1 and Xen 4.1 with the xl toolstack.
>
> I originally created/installed the guest using virt-manager.  The
> install went well and the guest rebooted successfully and I was able
> to access it via
>
> xl vncviewer guest-name
>
> Now, the first problem, where's the config file?  Xen 3.x used fairly
> straight forward config files that were stored in /etc/xen/.
> virt-install doesn't create that file.
>
> I found an sxp format config file in /var/lib/xend/domains/UUID/ that
> matches my guest.  But I'm unable to boot from that.

AIUI virt-manager uses libvirt which is a hypervisor abstraction. The
XML is likely its own format. libvirt can backend onto either xend or xl
(or a variety of other hypervisors).

If you want to continue using virt-manager then I think you will have to
use it completely and not try to mix and match with the lower level
toolstack on a single domain.

> When I try, I get a lot of parser errors and finally complaints about
> it looking like Python code.  So this:
>
> sudo xl create /var/lib/xend/domains/UUID/config.sxp
>
> doesn't allow me to reboot the guest.

Right, I wouldn't expect this to work since xl doesn't speak this sxp
format.

> I then tried creating a basic old-style config file:
>
> builder='hvm'
> name='precise-hvm'
> memory=1024
> maxmemory=1024
> uuid='18069c40-e01f-ddf8-5932-bc6bb6b5bba1'
> vif='xenbr0'

This needs [] around it.

> disk=[ 'file:/vms/precise-hvm.img,qcow2,hda' ]
>
> I then tried starting the guest there.  That also fails because
> despite what I read here:
>
> http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/misc/xl-disk-configuration.txt
>
> None of these disk lines are accepted by xl:

xl in 4.1 was a bit "tech previewy". I'm not sure when the xl disk
paring stuff was fixed to be properly compatible but I have a feeling it
was post 4.1 (the doc you are referencing at the link above is for
xen-unstable).

I'd recommend either updating to Xen 4.2 (where xl works much better) or
sticking with xend if you want to use Xen 4.1.