[Xen-users] Issues creating a minimal Xen /Dom0 Ubuntu 12.04 install

I am trying to create a minimal Xen/Dom0 based on Ubuntu 12.04. I am
using upstream Xen 4.1.1 with a Linux 3.1.2 Dom0 kernel. I am building
Xen and Linux offline i.e. on another server, creating deb packages (I
back-ported "make deb" from Xen 4.2 to Xen 4.1.1) that I then install
on the minimal system. All this is happening correctly, Xen and Dom0
comes up. I am able to do basic commands like "xl list" and "xl info".
However when I go to bring up a Ubuntu pv guest I get the following
error:

root@knc-11588:~# xl create -c /etc/xen/ubuntu-12.04-1pv
Parsing config file /etc/xen/ubuntu-12.04-1pv
Unable to attach console

Here is the DomU config:
builder = 'linux'
bootloader ="pygrub"
memory = 4096
name = 'ubuntu-12.04-1pv'
vcpus = 2
vif = [ 'type=vif' ]
disk = ['phy:/dev/xvdd,xvda,w']

I do not see any log files being created in /var/log/xen/. Nor do I
see any output after initial boot from "xl dmesg" or "dmesg". I do
realize the "make deb" process does not generate any dependencies so I
suspect that  I am missing some packages. I also know on Ubuntu
installing the tools needs to be done with "make install-tools
PYTHON_PREFIX_ARG=". Maybe that is not being simulated when going deb
route? Does someone know how to debug this issue?

Thanks,
AP