Re: [Xen-users] "dynamic memory allocation" for windows guests?

On 10/02/13 11:20, Peter Gansterer wrote:
Hi again,

Are there really no hints about this topic?

It would also be useful to definitely know there is no solution for what we are
looking for - or even input as to why this wouldn't work.
Otherwise we'd think about trying it on our own.

You should look into the Xen Cloud Platform (XCP) [1], which has a feature called Dynamic Memory Control, or memory ballooning [2]. It requires you to install special PV drivers in your Windows guest. One of these drivers is a ballooning daemon, which allocates a range of memory from the guest OS, and then gives that memory back to Xen, which gives the physical memory backed by that memory region to other guests. See [2], "How do balloon drivers work and what is a memory balloon" for more details.

Mike

[1] http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XCP_Overview
[2] http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Dynamic_Memory_Control