[Xen-users] Problem using PoD on Xen 4.2.1 (win domU crash)

Hi,

In short:
Windows domU doesn't show any ballooned memory and finally crashes ("out of PoD
memory") when "starting ballooned".

We tested on 2 different hosts and windows guests:
  Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2003.
  Xen 4.2.1 on gentoo, dom0 kernels: 3.7.x
  signed gplpv drivers from univention.

When configured to start ballooned (eg. mem=1GB, max=4GB)
we see the following behaviour:

- "xl list" says, the guest uses 1GB of memory
- windows shows 4GB physical memory (as expected)
- but windows shows no sign of a balloon (ie: all 4GB is free)
- we are able to eat all the 4GB without paging.
- "xl list" doesn't notice any changes (always stays at 1GB).
- If we try to allocate above physical memory of the host, the domU just
crashes:
  (XEN) p2m_pod_demand_populate: Dom3 out of PoD memory! (tot=131064
ents=1965536 dom3)
  (XEN) domain_crash called from p2m-pod.c:1077

We didn't start ballooned windows domUs before, so we're not exactly sure on
how it should behave (expected to see the "ballooned region" right after
booting windows; and certainly no crashes :-)).

Is this a bug in this special combination of components, or did we mess up with
our configuration?

domU Config:
------------------------------
builder = "hvm"
name = "win2008"
viridian = 1
memory = 1024
maxmem = 4096
vcpus = 2
vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0, mac=00:18:4e:fa:ab:13, model=e1000'  ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sda3,hda,rw' ]
vnc =1
vnclisten="127.0.0.1"
vncpasswd="test"