Re: [Xen-users] need advise with a redhat domU

Mike,
I think you need to better categorize the statement "performance is crappy."
Dig into the performance some and figure out where your bottleneck is - disk,
network, CPU, memory??  The standard tools you'd use on a physical machine
should work fine on a VM - iostat, vmstat, top, free, sar, etc., etc.  Once you
nail down where the problem is, you can post back and folks will probably have
some better suggestions on how to alleviate specific bottlenecks.  Also, let us
know what you're doing with the VM.  Running a basic web server?  Oracle
database server?  Compiling code?  The tuning will be very different based on
where the bottleneck is and what you're trying to do with the system.

-Nick

>>> On 2013/02/07 at 09:21, "Mike Egglestone" <mike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have xen dom0 running on Debian with a RedHat 5.4 domU. (under HVM)
> Its working, but performance is crappy.
>
> I think I need to get PV drivers in the RH kernel, or flip this to a PV
> domU?
> The RH kernel is 2.6.18, which doesn't come stock with PV drivers.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get his domU up to snuff?
>
> Thanks!

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.