Re: [Xen-users] network offloading

On 02/03/2013 03:46 AM, Linux Hack wrote:
Hi,

One of my Xen HVM vm is utilized the vcpu completely that I allocated. I found on http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Network_Throughput_and_Performance_Guide#Offloading_some_network_processing_to_NICs which giving the solution to enable network offloading.

So I want to know is it possible to make it work on Xen on CentOS like on XenServer?

And how can I check whether my NIC supports offloading?

Hi,
most of toady's (if not all) server adapters support the offloading. You can check the support with ethtool.

server1:~# ethtool -k eth1
Offload parameters for eth1:
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: on
tcp-segmentation-offload: on
udp-fragmentation-offload: off
generic-segmentation-offload: on
generic-receive-offload: off
large-receive-offload: off
ntuple-filters: off
receive-hashing: off

server1:~# ethtool -i eth1
driver: e1000e
version: 1.2.20-k2
firmware-version: 1.3-0
bus-info: 0000:00:19.0

I am not sure about the support of this feature trough the PCI-passtrough (do not see any reason for any issues with that - based on my limited knowledge). Make sure if the network load is the reason of the high load on your HVM machine before playing with these adapter settings (looks like you are not sure about the root cause).

Best regards,
--
Peter Viskup