Re: [Xen-users] deploy a debian lenny domU under debian squeeze dom0.

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 15:54:10 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 21:56:14 +0000

El 04/12/12 15:06, Mauro escribió:
I have a server with debian squeeze dom0 and some debian squeeze domUs.
In another machine I have a debian lenny dom0 with some debian lenny domUs.
I want to migrate all debian lenny domUs in the machine with debian
squeeze dom0 without upgrading the operating system.
Is it possible?
Yes, straight and trivial enough.

Just move your storages. Make sure your Squeeze Dom0 has available a suitable kernel and initrd for your Lenny DomU, 3 ways to go:
- Just copy kernel and initrd images from Lenny Dom0 to Squeeze Dom0.
- Make your Lenny DomU's to boot via pygrub and make them to hold their own kernel. That means install a xen-kernel within DomU and fabricate some grub.cfg. You need not to install Grub within DomU. - Once on Squeeze Dom0, make your Lenny DomU to boot a more recent kernel and initrd. Install the corresponding kernel from backports in Lenny DomU or copy /lib/modules/whatever from Dom0.

I see some differences in the .cfg files between squeeze domUs and lenny domUs.
The config files are back-compatible.
A more recent Xen use pygrub, which is probably not available under an older one. A specific mention of "kernel" and "initrd" will work with either version.

Check this thread. It's about something completly different, but explains the way the different boot loader work with Xen.
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2012-11/msg00208.html

lenny domUs do not have linux-image kernel installed, I have to install?
Depend on what way you choose.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov