Re: [Xen-users] What is the difference of "xm save" and "xm snapshot-create"?

2012/10/16 Casey DeLorme <cdelorme@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure what version of Xen you are using, but the xen man pages has a man
> page for the xm command:
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Man_Pages
>
> I only found information about the save command in this file:
> http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/man/xm.1.html
>
> Apparently it's like a manual hibernate feature, sounds like it places RAM
> into a file you can reload from later.
>
> I saw no mention of the snapshot-create command, but that sounds like it
> would be relative to the LVM (which also has snapshot commands).
>
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Flako <subforos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>    Hello
>>    What is the difference of "xm save domU" and "xm snapshot-create
>> domU "? (the truth is that I can not locate an some documentation: ( )
>>
>>    It may be that "xm save" or "xm snapshot-create" also perform a
>> disk snapshot? because if I create a file after "xm save" or "xm
>> snapshot-create", I lose to restore the snapshot.
>>    From what I understand from the documentation are only "snapshots"
>> of the state of memory and disk.
>>    File loss will be due inode cache issues?
>>
>>    Thanks for getting here. I'm sure it was way too suffering ... (The
>> day will come that fails to use translate.google)

Hi Casey
Using Xen on SLES 11SP2 4.1 (kernel 3.0.13-xen-0.27)
As you say, "snapshot-create" does not appear in the thirteenth man,
but a "# xm - help | grep snap" you can see the valid commands ..
I think they are an "alias" to the same functionality "save", but have
not found much documentation.