Re: [Xen-users] HVM help please

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 00:41 +0100, Shane Johnson wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > What's so special in your setup?
>> > Home-complied kernel or hypervisor image?
>> >
>> > Debian stock Xen boots bzip2-compressed Dom0 kernels just fine, :
>> > # file /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
>> > /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64: Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage,
>> > version 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 (unknown@Deb, RO-rootFS, swap_dev 0x2, Normal
>> > VGA
>> >
>> > Your experience is valuable, it's just unclear, what configuration does it
>> > apply to.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Alexandre Kouznetsov

>> Besides what I posted in the OP I don't see anything different.  Here
>> is what I observed:
>> Kernels installed on server:
>> 1 - linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo-amd64
>> 2 - linux-image-3.2.18 (recompiled)
>> 3 - linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo-amd64 with Xen
>> 4 - linux-image-3.2.18 with Xen
>> 5 - (all of the above with failsafe)
>>
>> All kernels would boot and run fine before xen-qemu-dm-4.0 installed.
>> After - with Xen kernels would only boot after reinstalling package
>> and full power down of server
>
> I'm hard pressed to think of a reason that installing xen-qemu-dm-4.0
> should effect the boot of the host. This package contains a binary
> application which is only run when starting an HVM guest and has nothing
> at all to do with host kernels etc.
>
> I've checked the package content and the maintainer scripts and can't
> see anything untoward.
>
> Perhaps it is just a coincidence and something else which is happening
> around the same time as installing this package during host setup is the
> culprit?
>
> It might be interesting to take copies of /boot/grub/*.cfg and record
> md5sums of everything under /boot before installing the package so as to
> see what has actually changed.
>
>> No With Xen kernel would run with xen-pciback.hide line in
>> /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> This sounds like an unrelated issue?
>
> You mentioned Squeeze backports -- you shouldn't need xen-qemu-dm-4.0
> with anything newer than the 4.0 version of Xen in Squeeze itself.
> Although I still can't think of a way this would cause host boot
> failures.
>
> Hrm, perhaps xen-qemu-dm-4.0 is causing an older (4.0) Xen to get pulled
> in and replace the newer backports one? Can you provide a transcript of
> the full "apt-get install xen-qemu-dm-4.0"?
>
> A full boot log of a failing system would also be useful.
>
> Can you also confirm which precise hypervisor packages you are
> installing (versions and where they come from). You only mentioned
> backports but not the specifics.
>
>> All non with Xen options would boot fine.
>>
>> After 3.2.18 was extracted and made a raw image - no problems with
>> booting and xen-pciback.hide.
>> Same behavior on two MB.  (See OP) so I don't think it is a hardware
> [...]
I ran md5sum on all files in /boot and /boot/grub/grub.cfg and nothing
changed after xen-qemu-dm installed. ( I have those hashs if you want
to see them.

I checked the version of the hypervisor that gets installed and it's
only at 4.0.1-4 (I thought it would have been higher as well )(This is
the same before and after xen-qemu is installed)

the output from the installation of xen-qemu is attached ( If I am
allowed, if not let me know how you want me to get the information to
you.)

I attempted to get a boot log for you, but the error occurs before
bootlogd starts.  Is there another way I can get the information for
you?

Thanks for all the help

--
Shane D. Johnson