[Xen-users] Missing memory when using maxmem

I am trying to allow domains' memory allocation to be altered by using both the "memory" and "maxmem" options in my config files (i.e. set maxmem to some large value to allow the domain to be resized up to that amount, and memory to set the initial allocation).

However I appear to lose potentially quite a large chunk of memory as I use a larger "maxmem" option. For instance if I use memory=512, as I use a higher value for maxmem, I lose more memory according to "free" in the guest. I lose about 200MB (nearly half the memory!) if I have a maxmem of 8GB and even more when it is higher.

I have looked around and couldn't find any mention of maxmem taking a chunk out of the memory by design. Would anybody be able to shed any light on this?

I have tested this with both Xen 4.0.1 and 4.1.2, and Kernel version 2.6.32

Phil.