Re: [Xen-users] Xen or KVM

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Michael Egglestone" <mike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 07:47:30 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 16 May 2012 14:48:13 +0000

Arindam Choudhury <arindam@xxxxxxxx> writes:
The question is why you personally like Xen? What benefits you getting over KVM?

I'm fairly new to Xen and virtualization for that matter, but I tested both
xen and kvm before I deployed my first live VM.
I ended up with xen simply for the fact that I liked the management
of the VM's better than kvm.
The .cfg files are easier to read and configure, and the xm tools are simple
and give quick, easy to read info.
We run a mix of Microsoft Server and Debian VM's. Xen hosted on Debian.
The online documentation and this user list were also important factors.

There was some discussion a few years ago about xen not entirely being in
the linux kernel and that bothered some folks, where kvm was built in.
But IIRC, I believe now that xen is part of the 3.x kernel.

Cheers,
Mike