Re: [Xen-users] AMD system hardware compatibility

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Greg Ryan <gregr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We have had the following hardware proposed to us for use with the
> Xen 4.1 hypervisor.  Can anyone on this list confirm 4.1 compatibility
> for this configuration?

It depends on what you mean by "compatibility"

> - Supermicro barebone, H8QG6-F motherboard, 4U SC748TQ-R1400B chassis
> - 4 x AMD Opteron 6282 2.6GHz 16-core processor with Turbo Technology
>  and 16MB L3 cache (140W TDP)- Part number # 6282SE

If by "compatibility" you mean "I want to run windows domU, and have
the graphic card passed thru to windows", then there's very little
combination tested to do so successfully (search the list archive for
details).

If by "compatibility" you mean "I want to run windows and linux vm on
it", then the biggest requirement is that the CPU supports
intel-vt/AMD-v . See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Opteron_microprocessors#Opteron_6200-series_.22Interlagos.22_.2832_nm.29

If by "compatibility" you mean "I want to use a new-ish device like a
10/40/100G ethernet card on it", then it's mostly related to the
version of dom0 kernel, and not the hypervisor. Since latest vanilla
kernel can be used as dom0, if that system works fine on a newish
linux distro (e.g. Ubuntu precise), then it should work fine under xen
on top of that distro.

--
Fajar