[Xen-users] Block IO Questions

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Casey DeLorme <cdelorme@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 00:59:11 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 02 May 2012 05:00:20 +0000

Hey Xen Users,

I have a question about Block IO Performance in Xen, and was wondering if anyone can help explain it to me.

I am running Windows 7 x64 HVM on an LVM Partition.

The main partition is on a SSD Drive, I also have another set of LVM partitions on storage drives that I mount from time to time.

I found the IO speeds to be a bit... unusual.

For example, I tried to copy data off of a USB Drive to my main drive (SSD LVM Partition) and the speed started at 300Mbps, then slowly over roughly a minute dropped down to 15Mbps.  Similarly I tried doing the same to a storage LVM and it started at 176Mbps then dropped to the same 15~ Mbps speed.

Given that it starts at a higher amount am I to assume this is a mistake in the early calculations?  Or is this a problem with disk configuration?

I should note that WEI rates the disk at a 6.8 in this HVM, so it "shouldn't" be slow I would imagine.

If anyone has an insights I would greatly appreciate it, as a last resort I may consider PV Drivers, I am open to everyones opinion about that.

Thanks,

~Casey