Re: [Xen-users] pygrub questions from domU viewpoint

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:06:54 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:08:20 +0000

El 29/04/12 15:10, John Griessen escribió:
I have a virtual server Xen domU rented and want to be able to
change kernels. The provider, thrustvps.com offers so little support, it
is hard
to make any progress, so I am wondering what you can find out from the
domU perspective about booting?
Not much. The booting process is too much dependent of the boot loader. If you can't interact with it, you can do nothing with confidence.

So far, any change to kernels in /boot/grub/menu.lst won't boot. That's
a big hassle
Is your /boot/grub/menu.lst taken into account at all or it is not (Dom0 provided kernel)?
What are the changes you have tested?

because once it won't boot, they provide no way to restore from my
backup, at least, not with a generic account.
Maybe they can give you a access to VM console, to monitor/alter the boot process? Xen have a standard way to export the console, as VPS customer you should expect to be able to get access to it. Once done, you may do whatever you wish to Grub with a good confidence.

(don't CC me, i read the list)

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov