Re: [Xen-users] Firewall in domU, networking in XEN

  • To: 'Sławek Kosowski' <slawek.k_xl@xxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Walter Robert Ditzler" <ditwal001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 16:19:26 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 14:20:20 +0000

sorry here,

my comment should not be taken wrong and the concept to have one powerfull
server to handle most oft he services is absolutelly good too, we almost do
that here too.

first:
the probem i have, for ex, ist he firewall stuff, i mean in our point of
view, a firewall should be seperated by 2 nic's and i assume briged nic on a
xen will cause some difficulties with iptable! even i dont know how you
would quaranty security when all ip packages traverse the same nic!

second:
on powerfull server == one single point of failure! what about lvm
snapshots, where to put them, what to do if the server crashes, server down
time?

that what i wanted to say, for me the concept is missing. all your services
can be made easely with xen, windws domU, linux domU.

i would only suggest to consider of using at least 2 xen server, replicated
with drbd, but not remus! and in the very best case a third lowcost server
with disk space to copy lvm gziped snapshots over ssh daily or weekly.

thats it.

thanks walter