Re: [Xen-users] iSCSI disk disappears at boot (no boot device)

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:31 AM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay+xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ... tumbleweeds blow by ... :-)
>
> I've been getting some response on the virt-manager list and someone just
> told me the following, which has me a bit confused :
>
> Quote : "So to boot from iSCSI you need to use an iSCSI software initiator.
> Like gPXE or so. "
>
> What has me confused is that this worked fine with VirtualBox without any
> extra bits and pieces.   Does that mean that VirtualBox has the initiator
> built in but Xen does not?   And if not, then how is it I am able to connect
> the iSCSI disk to the VM (in virt-manager) in the first place?  I thought
> the mere fact that I can connected it requires that there is an initiator on
> one end ( xen / virt-manager ) and target on the other end (my iSCSI server)

There are more than one way to use iscsi disk in xen.

The easiest way, and also the one with best performance in Xen, is to
import the iscsi disk in dom0 (i.e., your host). You then use it like
any other disk (e.g. /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc. Or use /dev/disk/by-id
or by-path for persistence).

I'm GUESSing you import the iscsi disk using the OS installer, AND you
use PV domU, which results in the disk (along with the kernel and
initrd) not accesible during domU boot. If you don't understand what
I'm saying on this paragraph, just forget it, and ONLY read the
previous paragraph :)

--
Fajar