Re: [Xen-users] Trying to install openindiana 151a

adding the (inactive) OpenSolaris Xen list to the CC in case there is
someone able to comment.

Some comments inline

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Sandi Romih <romihs.forums@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get openindian 151a running under Xen.
> I am using xen unstable rev 24798 and Debian Squeeze domain 0.
>
> My cfg file is:
>
> # builder='hvm'
>
>  disk = [ 'file:/xen-vms/oi/oi151a.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ,
> 'file:/xen-vms/oi/xenoi.img,hda,w' ]
>
>  vif = [ 'bridge=eth0, mac=00:14:3e:00:8f:d8' ]
>
>  vcpus = 2
>  memory = 2048
>  name = "oi"
>
>  kernel = "/xen-vms/oi/kernels/unix"
>  ramdisk = "/xen-vms/oi/kernels/boot_archive"
>  extra = "/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix -B console=ttya"
>
> on_shutdown = "destroy"
>  on_reboot = "restart"
>  on_crash = "destroy"
>

> The VM starts up when I create it and it appears to boot. It also gets an IP
> address assigned to it and I can ping it.
> My problem is that I can not ssh to the install. I am not an experienced
> linux or xen user, and I can not think of any other way I could connect to
> the VM via a console or something...
>
> If I try and run the installation in HVM, I can see (in vncviewer) the
> openindiana install menu come up, but whatever I select from there causes
> the VM to freeze after it preforms its initial start-up (............). It
> does not get an IP address assigned to it, I assume that the OS is not
> running....
>
> I dont understand how one goes about doing the installation if one can not
> access the VM through vncviewer or through a remote login.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Other places to look:

http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=openindiana

http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=solaris

http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=opensolaris

I'm not sure if these patches for PV-grub support made it into the Xen
tree or not:
http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=solaris+console#query:solaris%20console+page:1+mid:d7qhk4vzikgo5ofc+state:results

A good thread to follow up on though.

Hope that helps,