Re: [Xen-users] PXE + XEN

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 16:52:46 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 21:54:10 +0000

El 03/04/12 15:43, Joseph Glanville escribió:
On 4 April 2012 05:45, Ian Tobin<itobin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Not sure about para guests but with him you can boot from network by
pressing F12 at boot time

Not sure if the keyboard press will work.
However if you specify boot="n" in the config file the guest will DHCP
and PXE boot via the network.

That is correct, boot="n" option works fine.

Other thing you should have in mind if you use bridged network, is gPXE's timeout vs bridge forward delay. In short, by default gPXE get desperate of not getting DHCP answer before the bridge become operation, and fails to boot. Can be fixed manually with "brctl setfd $BRIDGENAME 5" or in your network configuration file.

I don't use network-bridge script, my Debian's /etc/network/interfaces looks like this (note that Dom0 has no IP on that interface in my setup):
iface xenbr22 inet manual
  bridge_ports eth1.22
  bridge_stp off
  bridge_fd 5

All this works for HVM VM's. I do also boot PV VM's form network, but i have found nothing better than copy the VM's kernel and initrd to to Dom0 and boot them as normal DomU (kernel parameters instruct the VM to get rootfs from network). Probably, I will end up writing some wrapper to be used with "bootloader" option. I would talks to TFTP, get specified pxelinux config file, parse it, download the kernel and inirtd, than start up the VM. Although, it has not been written yet.

Greetings.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov