[Xen-users] XEN 4.1.2 + gentoo-sources-3.3.0: cannot open root device sddX

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Flavio <fbcyborg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:09:35 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 09:11:33 +0000

Hello,

I've just upgraded the Linux Kernel from version
"gentoo-sources-3.2.6" to "gentoo-sources-3.3.0"
and I've encountered a strange problem with it.
Actually, if I try to boot the new kernel I am not able to mount the
root device.
This only happens with kernel 3.3.0 and if I boot such kernel without
the hypervisor
(i.e. deleting the kernel /xen.gz line in grub.conf) the kernel boots
without any problem.
So I think it's due to the hypervisor compatibility with the new kernel.

I was able to boot such kernel only one time. I don't really know how.

This is the kernel configuration file I am using both for 3.3.0 and 3.2.6:
http://pastebin.com/M9BdUTh0

I've also tried to recompile the kernel and the two packages xen and
xen-tools but this
didn't solve the problem.

Booting with the hypervisor generates a kernel panic due to the error I reported
in the subject, and it reboots automatically.

It seems like if at each boot it detects a different disk/partition
scheme/order, so
it can't find the /dev/sda4 root device I've specified in the module
grub.conf file.

title=Gentoo Linux 3.3.0 XEN
root (hd0,0)
kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=1024M loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all iommu=1
module /vmlinuz-3.3.0-gentoo root=/dev/sdd4 rootdelay=10
xen-pciback.hide=(00:1b.0)

Note also that my XEN installation is on an external USB disk, but it perfectly
works with the 3.2.6 kernel and the "root=" option is definitely correct.

Regards,

--
Flavio