Re: [Xen-users] xend future

On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 11:25 +0000, Mario wrote:
> On 03/21/2012 12:16 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:

> >> Well, I would usualy consider Xapi since it's directly related to Xen,
> >> however, because it is "distro-locked" in such a way that there has to
> >> be a fork per distro doesn't really seem like the right choice to me. I
> >> suppose it has to be like that if its just a hack to make XCP work on
> >> classic distro's? Or am I mistaken?
> >
> > The aim of Kronos and Zeus is to make XAPI available as a proper package
> > on various distros, there is no fork -- only effort to package things
> > for the particular distro packaging formats, which is normal for any
> > software -- or hack involved.
> >
> > Part of Kronos has necessarily involved changes to the xapi side to make
> > it less entangled with XCP and therefore usable in a generic environment
> > (i.e. resolving the "distro-lock" which you refer to), this has
> > obviously made Zeus a fair bit easier.
> >
> > Ian.
> >

> In that case, I am interested in making a package for yet another
> distribution, and instead of making up yet another name and doing it all
> from scratch (if its even possible), which of the two would be a better
> choice to follow? Which of the two is more generic? Does having Zeus
> project ensure that Kronos will stay active, or is Zeus not dependant on
> Kronos development, etc etc :-)

Which distro? CCing Mike who has been heavily involved with both Kronos
and Zeus (I'm just an outside observer).

AFAIK the disentanglement aspect arising from both Kronos and Zeus are
resulting in patches which are being committed to the upstream xapi code
base. Unless your distro happens to use .deb (Kronos) or .rpm (Zeus)
packages then probably only this upstream aspect is useful to you,
otherwise the appropriate project could perhaps serve as a starting
point to apply the necessary distro specific policies to.

Ian.