Re: [Xen-users] Qemu/KVM machines inside a Xen guest

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Campbell [mailto:Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:38 PM
To: Sever Apostu
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Qemu/KVM machines inside a Xen guest

On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 12:25 +0000, Sever Apostu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out whether three Qemu/KVM machines inside one
> Oracle VM (Xen) machine would be a good idea. I am aware that
> performance, possibly stability as well would suffer, but do you think
> it's conceptually possible?

Conceptually, sure.

Plain qemu ought to work today.

Running KVM in an HVM guest would required nested HVM support in Xen (i.e. the
ability to expose hardware virtualisation features to HVM guests). This is
currently only available as an experimental feature in xen-unstable, I expect
it will be released only as an experimental feature in 4.2 as well. KVM on Xen
was one of the cases tested by AMD
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-03/msg00883.html

Running KVM in a PV guest I'm not sure about, conceptually possible I suppose
but not possible in practice today AFAIK.

Ian.

Thank you, Ian!

Do you by any chance know if the Xen version that comes with Oracle 3.0.3
supports nested HVM?

Kind regards,
Sever