Re: [Xen-users] Watchdog and live migration

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Wouter de Geus <benv-xensource.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:29:19 +0100
  • Comment: DKIM? See http://www.dkim.org
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:30:34 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=default; d=junerules.com; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Subject:Message-ID:Mail-Followup-To:References:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Disposition:In-Reply-To:Organization:X-URL:User-Agent; b=NX3YABTYmd/pIgkrBKm74+tecQQttQk7iM2jvYpwoRAEiJ1BPBH2SYdaK3S85T wsX/6Y1JEmUCMAPpywpdZlXTnh3+trFPiuIZaNL4u56ttPmnHtMOTABBcbKNK6cd GDMjKeUOHW42prPpQYB2euydVuP2CPnSuNZcZu/kC1Ttw=;

* Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> [2012-03-16 10:55:34 +0000]:

> > In the domU a /dev/watchdog exists, but I never touch it myself.
>
> Does your distro start a watchdogd for you?
>
> Even if it did then it should obviously continue to poke the watchdog
> even after a migration, but it might provide some hints.

Nope, it doesn't.
As an experiemtn I tried sending a 'V' to /dev/watchdog just after
migration, which seems to be the magic byte to stop the watchdog
according to the linux kernel docs.

(according to Documentation/watchdog/watchdog-api.txt) -
"If a driver supports "Magic Close", the driver will not disable the
watchdog unless a specific magic character 'V' has been sent to
/dev/watchdog just before closing the file."

Surprisingly, the domU seemed to stay alive after doing this.
So it would appear that somehow the watchdog is triggered after migration.
No idea why though.

Wouter.