Re: [Xen-users] Xen hypervisor physical to virtual

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:03:02 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:04:30 +0000

Hello.

El 13/03/12 08:52, asim hafeez escribió:
I'm trying to create physical to virtual in Xen hypervisor.
I guess, you have a Windos XP installation on a physical machine, and trying to migrate it to a virtual one.

Machine is
booting and shows XP logo after that it get dumped with blue screen.
If you google for "xen hvm migrate windows from physical to virtual", I expect you will find many useful references about the topic. Otherwise, carefully read the message the blue screen is displaying and seek support specifically about that error.

The two main issues you will have to face are:
- Correct migration of the block device and MBR. I recommend do it using Partimage. Create the image from some liveCD (Knoppix is great) and write to your machine's block device booting the HVM host form the same CD. There are more direct ways, that can be some bit more tricky.

- Driver for the disk drive controller. Windows gets very scared, if you change it's IDE/SATA controller. Board it as you were changing the motherboard on the Windows computer. Can't tell you more, I'm not a Windows expert, besides this list is more abut Xen, and less about Windows.

In any case, from what I've seen in Windows world, it's almost always a better idea to do fresh install, than moving around the already installed OS. Faster, cleaner.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov