[Xen-users] [XCP] "Invisible" Disks in Templates

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Eric Englebretson <eenglebretson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 12:37:19 -0600
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 18:38:37 +0000

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I was unable to find it in
my searching.

Setup:
I have two fresh-install XCP v1.1 servers on identical Dell servers in a pool
utilizing an EMC CLARiiON CX3-40 over iSCSI as a shared storage repository.

Problem Details:
If I convert a VM to a template via either XenCenter 5.6 or SSH command-line,
then when I create a template via XenCenter, the wizard gets to "Configure
storage for the new VM" but does not list any disks in the "Use these virtual
disks:" field.  To continue, I have to create a "dummy" disk that I later
delete once the VM is provisioned.  The provisioning process copies the
"invisible" disk that the template comes with to the new VM, and, after that,
the disk is visible in both the VM and the shared SR.

I will note, if it matters, that the parent template the child VMs have been
created from was exported from a standalone XenServer 1.0 test-bed utilizing
local storage and imported to the XCP pool.  Any child templates I create from
the parent share the same problem, however.

Is there an xe template-param-set field I can toggle or fill in to expose the
disk to the VM wizard, or is there something else I need to do during template
creation to correct this issue?  Do I need to go so far as to create a VM from
scratch to convert to a template on the XCP 1.1 servers?

Thank you!
-Eric