Re: [Xen-users] Are stubdoms still useful for HVM guests that have PV drivers installed?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: Matthew Hook <matthew.hook@xxxxxxxx>

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:38:08 -0800

Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 19:46:00 +0000

> I've been reading this link:

> http://www.xen.org/files/xensummitboston08/SamThibault_XenSummit.pdf

> And from what I understand is it offloads I/O to a mini domain which

> may have more resources assigned to it so

> it should improve performance. Comments suggest that it is designed

> for HVM guests not PV guests.

> So if you have a Windows HVM guest running that is using the GPLPV

> drivers, does this make stubdom unnecessary?

Sorry about the top-post. I'm not subscribed, and the new mailing list wiki

makes it impossible to guess OP addresses.

However, this is exactly what my recent post '[Xen-users] Problems with stubdoms, and xl' is about. The short answer is yes, there is no speed improvement. See the last half of Ian's answer to me, that covers this point.

Pls cc: me if you need more input.