Re: [Xen-users] entry-level XCP server using Intel desktop components

On 02/10/2012 07:21 AM, Chris Marget wrote:
For the OP, I'd keep an eye open for Intel boards that feature AMT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology
This is a neat setup that with a VNC server independent of the OS. It
allows full KVM access to the system even when it hasn't booted yet,
and also allows booting of the system off of remote media (an CD
image, for example). AMT is generally available on Intel's "desktop"
grade motherboards.

All three of the Intel DQ67* boards have AMT 7.0.

I believe that AMT used to allow the management traffic to live only
in a particular VLAN, but that feature has been removed. This may
introduce a security risk to your Dom0, so you might consider
installing additional NICs for use by the OSes and leave the onboard
NIC dedicated to the management feature. ...And plug it into a trusted
"management" subnet.

I'll keep that in mind if/when I deploy an Internet-facing XCP server.

Thanks!

David