Re: [Xen-users] entry-level XCP server using Intel desktop components

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 22:25 -0800, David Christensen wrote:
> xen-users:
>
> I'm considering building an entry-level Xen Cloud Platform server using
> Intel desktop components.
>

> Should I choose a processor and motherboard that support Intel VT-d
> technology?  For example:
>
> http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced/?s=t&VTD=true&FamilyText=2nd%20Generation%20Intel%C2%AE%20Core%E2%84%A2%20i5%20Processors&Sockets=1155
>
> http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-030922.htm
>

> Specifically, the i5-2500S processor and DQ67SW motherboard?
>
> http://ark.intel.com/products/52211/Intel-Core-i5-2500S-Processor-%286M-Cache-2_70-GHz%29
>
> http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dq67sw.html
>

> TIA,
>
> David

David,
I'm in the midst of implementing an entry-level XCP system for virtual
desktop infrastructure for my organization.  I ended up purchasing a
Dell PowerEdge C5000 chassis with 8 x C5220 "sleds".  This is the Dell's
new "clould" chassis, code-named Viking, I believe.  Each of the 8 sleds
can support a single Intel Xeon E3 processor - I purchased the 1270
model, which runs at 3.4ish GHz.  Each sled will also take up to 32 GB
of RAM.  They have two on-board GigE connections, and can support either
4 x 2.5" HDs or 2 x 3.5" HDs, and an on-board SDHC card slot.  The C5000
chassis is 3 rack units.  Very nice chassis.  Unfortunately when you
purchase the chassis you have to purchase a minimum of 4 sleds, so you
really can't get it for less than $10K or so.  But, maybe it gives you
some help as to what hardware I'm using.  I was going for something more
dense and less expensive than the blades and/or 1U systems that we
usually purchase so that I can run relatively inexpensive virtual
desktops in my datacenter.  For me, this was just the ticket.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.