[Xen-users] Virtual machine with more than 256 Gb memory

Hello everybody

We are now planning to buy a new (and big: typically a 40-core machine, 1Tb memory) which would have about 10-20 virtual machines. One of those virtual machines would be dedicated to scientific software, and should have 768Gb just for itself.

The host operating system would be whether Debian 6, OR Suse Entreprise v 10. The first one because we know and love Debian, the latter because only suse is supported by Dell (alas).

So, the questions are:

1/ Is such a configuration simply possible ? Just now on debian the max memory for a virtual machine is set to 256 Gb. Is getting 768Gb only a question of kernel compilation, or is there something more complicated ? (I don't have such a configuration yet, so I cannot test...).

2/ Which Xen version is packaged by Suse ? Is it a 4.0.1 as in Debian 6, or is it a more recent version ?

3/ Does anybody around here have any feedback about Xen on suse Entreprise 10 ?

Thanks in advance for your kind answers

--
Emmanuel COURCELLE                emmanuel.courcelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
L.I.P.M. (UMR CNRS-INRA 2594/441) tel (33) 5-61-28-54-50