Re: [Xen-users] How to make image of existing windows 7

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Oliver Wilcock <oliver@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:25:54 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 15:27:45 +0000

You have a native hardware install and you want to convert it to virtual image? I haven't tried that with Windows 7. If like WinXP, then I assume the following are required: 1. Enable intelide driver and associated pieces in registry. I don't recall the specifics but I do remember finding these instructions for Vista and WinXP by using Google. I think this is the driver for the virtual hardware exposed by HVM. 2. You can shrink a NTFS volume with ntfsresize. Standard precautions in the form of a backup apply. You may need to use jkdefrag when Windows is running to make free space at the end of the volume. Following the ntfsresize you need to adjust the partition. There are instructions out there if you are unfamiliar with the process.