Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

On 7 December 2011 22:59, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It does for me. 'startx' usually will give you some problems. You could try
> 'startkde', but first: Do a 'chkconfig xdm --list', and make sure there are
> 'on' entries in the output. If not, you can do (as root) 'chkconfig xdm on',
> then 'rcxdm start', which is preferable to even startkde. (Actually, as root,
> do 'rcxdm stop', then '/bin/ps a -HA|grep kdm', and check for a pid to use
> with kill. Sometimes kdm doesn't exit cleanly. Then do 'rcxdm start'.)
OK, thanks

On 8 December 2011 05:56, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok - back to the hvm install, and converting it to a pv domu. Actually, all
> the heavy lifting has already been done in the hvm install and the pv install.
> Only three things need to be done for the conversion:
> [...]
OK, in this moment though, I don't want to put myself in the hvm to pv
conversion hell! :P If I can have success with a "plain" PV setup it is better
for me. Anyway, I want to do things once at time. I want to resort to this
conversion as a last hope, when the PV setups attempts failed them all.

> I left the stanza for the -default kernel as it was originally from the hvm
> install. (Yeah, the hvm install only installed the -desktop version of the
> kernel. I installed the other two with zypper, and upgraded the -desktop
> kernel. This doesn't change the discussion about /dev/disk/by-uuid.)
Ok, actually it is the same kernel-xen I've tried to setup with zypper as well,
on my previous hvm install. Of course it's not the same thing as the PV.

> 3) And, finally, this is my xorg.conf:
Maybe I'll keep this, just in case it would be necessary in my new PV setup.

> This ServerLayout tells xorg to try both fbdev and cirrus, and decide which
> one is best.
ok

> The end result is exactly the same as the pv install we've been talking about.
> The resolution is just 800x600, and there is no mouse, despite Xorg.0.log
> saying the evdev driver found one. Oh, well - at least it's an interesting
> technical exercise. ;-)
:D

> I'm out of ideas on the mouse, and the pv resolution. If anyone has any ideas,
> feel free to chime in. :-)
I'm still in the long setup process.
35% now.
I will let you know.