Re: [Xen-users] [Bulk] Re: OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

On 5 December 2011 18:16, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No, I mean using a suse dom0 to install a suse pv domu (or a fedora dom0 to
> install a fedora domu, etc.) This is because only the distro in question (suse
> here) knows about the layout of their own install disk, and knows how to run
> the install for you without hiccups, like this. Since you are using a gentoo
> dom0, you are out of luck, trying to install a suse domu.
Ah, OK, well. I did understand now. You are right. Maybe I could find some
instruction to build a suse pv domU for a suse dom0, hopefully.

> Again, back to guessing here, since I don't have Gentoo: First, I don't think
> the 'phy:/dev/loop0,hdc:cdrom,r' part of the disk= line is doing anything.
No, actually, it doesn't do anything, but even if I remove it, nothing changes.

> Pv
> domus don't understand cdroms.
Ok, right. My fault, even I'm pretty sure to have seen that on some tutorial.

> The install= line, and your loop mount of the
> dvd is telling gentoo where your install media is. (Similarly, stdvga= and
> videoram= are hvm options, and will be ignored.)
Yes, and it actually works, in order to start the setup process. That was clear
enough to me.

> Here's my guess: after replacing kernel / ramdisk with bootloader, also
> comment out the install= line. That's probably telling gentoo to restart.
Yes, I forgot to tell you that I've also removed that line, but nothing changed.

> If
> that doesn't work, I can't help you with this method, but I'll keep working on
> the hvm to pv conversion approach.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate your effort a lot.

Sincerely,
--
Flavio